When purchasing a pass, you acknowledge that you have read the rules below and that your rider(s) will abide by these rules. Failure to comply with these rules will result in suspension or expulsion from the bus at the sole discretion of the Yellow Bus Challenge team, First Student, and RUSD. No refunds will be issued for passes revoked for behavior-related issues.
Unless annual passes for multiple routes are purchased, riders are assigned to one route only and one stop and must show their pass when boarding the bus. Children without a valid pass will not be permitted to ride. Children are not permitted to bring friends who are not annual passholders on the same line on to the bus.
TK students must be five years old to ride the bus. There will be no exceptions. Prorated passes will be offered after children turn five, as space allows.
Waiting for the Bus
- Know when your bus departs and where to line up to catch the bus.
- Arrive five minutes before your scheduled departure time
Boarding the Bus
- Wait until the bus has stopped, and the bus driver says it’s time to board.
- Show the bus driver your bus pass.
- Sit in your assigned seat.
- Keep the aisle clear.
- Do not bring anything onto the bus that is not allowed at school.
Riding the Bus
- Follow all bus driver instructions.
- Remain seated at all times and keep body parts inside the bus at all times.
- Buckle your seat belt.
- Do not stand while the bus is moving.
- Do not yell, curse, or show disrespect to drivers.
- Do not distract the driver or interfere with the driver’s operation of the bus.
Disembarking the Bus
- Wait until the bus has stopped, and the bus driver says it is time to disembark.
- Do not push or shove.
- Once you are off the bus, do not run in front of the bus or in between buses.
- Once a child exits the bus, he/she is the responsibility of his/her parents or guardians.
- A guardian MUST MEET REEED ELEMENTARY STUDENTS in order for the bus driver to release them in the afternoon. If a guardian does not meet them, students will be brought to Del Mar Middle School, where First Student will contact their parent for pick up. A second failure by a parent or guardian to pick up their student(s) will result in a month-long suspension of bus privileges. Additional failures to do so will result in expulsion.
Additional Behavior Guidelines
- No eating, drinking, or littering on the bus or bus stops.
- No throwing objects on or at the bus.
- No bullying or harassment of others.
- No fighting, profanity or spitting.
- No vandalism of the bus, bus stop, or surrounding property. Parents are responsible for paying for damage their children cause to the bus or the stops, including homes adjacent to or in the vicinity of stops.
- No vaping, smoking or fire hazards or illegal or controlled substance on the bus.
- All items brought on the bus must be in a backpack, except for approved musical instruments or sports equipment.
- Incident Report Forms and/or citations will be filed for each incident, and parents and schools will be informed and will manage the student’s sanction.
- A verbal warning will be issued by the driver for a student’s first minor behavior violation and documented with the JPA program manager.
- A second or third violation may result in the child’s pass being suspended or revoked without a refund. This decision is made at the sole discretion of the JPA Program Manager, First Student, and RUSD.
- Any physical or safety-related violation (including a first violation) or violations related to verbal abuse of drivers can result in immediate suspension or revocation without refund. This decision will be at the sole discretion of the JPA Program Manager, First Student, and RUSD.